Thursday, July 10, 2014

Exotic Experiences at Exeter

Wednesday, 9th July 2014

I am now sitting in my room at Holland Hall in University of Exeter, UK, not quite sure where to start.

Exeter is a small city which developed around a university. The university stands on a hill and is one of the greenest and most resplendent with the beauty of nature among all the university campuses in UK. Holland Hall overlooks a valley in which you can see the entire city (town?).

The first impression I got when I entered this beautiful city is that some perfect artist has painted this entire city in a perfect mood on a magical canvas and then when he finished it, it all came alive. Such is the perfection and aestheticism of this place. As in London, there are beautiful and exotic flowers all over the place in every house and every building and every footpath. The university is full of ups and downs. Natural, as it is completely on a hill.

It is bright by about 4 a.m. and starts growing dark slowly only after 10 pm (it's June now- summer time). This makes the place even more beautiful and makes it easy for us to explore. It gives us a lot of time, really! The sun sleeps for only as long as we do :)
The side of the building facing the valley has a beautiful view from the window. My side has a very limited view of a small section of "undergrowth" as the building curves into a C and faces the hillside. There is nothing to see except beautiful yellow flowers in a bush. So even the undergrowth here seems picturesque!
Seagulls lend aural life to this region. Their calls are so beautiful and make me wonder if they can even speak human languages! Last night at 10 they seemed to be laughing. Today one seemed to be almost speaking. They are simply beautiful to look at and a pleasure to listen to! Guess describing fairyland starts with something like this! I am still trying to capture a good video of these splendid and graceful birds to show my mom n dad, hope to succeed soon! There are rabbits and other birds too. I need to figure out their names.

Initially, I thought that, given such a beautiful campus, I will never study. Today's visit to the library made me wish to lose myself in the library and never find myself again! It is beautiful. A perfect library again. Loads n loads of books. Wish I had done my masters here, in any subject!! I feel graduation and post-graduation are the perfect courses for this perfect looking university. I am not sure about research though- research hardly gives us time to look around and enjoy!

My experiences at London are yet to be shared- hope to do that soon enough!

1 comment: